Thursday, June 18, 2015

Love Does

As I prepare for surgery tomorrow (mentally and physically), I want to personally thank each and every person who has prayed for us, brought us food, paid for hotel rooms, made donations, and/or offered to help in a myriad of other ways.

What amazes me about all of this is the sheer number of people who banded together to make all of this happen. As Bob Goff talks about in his book, Love Does, just being there for someone in need is a true representation of God's love for us. I love Bob's quote:

“I used to want to fix people, but now I just want to be with them.”

Bob loves like God loves, and in one way or another, every person reading this blog has shown up to the table to be with me and shown me firsthand what God's love looks like. It brings tears to my eyes knowing how many people love me and want me to beat this thing. It is truly amazing, and there is nothing I will ever be able to do to repay you. Nothing, but next time you are in need, I promise I will show up at that table with you, if only just to sit and be present.

God is using this time to teach me about being on the receiving end of help, which is really hard for me, but it will make me a better husband, father, leader, manager, etc. because I know now it is ok to ask for help. I don't have to do this on my own. It has been one of the hardest lessons I have learned, and luckily, I was forced into learning it. I had no choice, and I am a better man because of it.

In closing, you all have taught me so much about God's love. About showing up when it is necessary, not when it is convenient. Whether you know it or not, you all taught me that it is ok to ask for help. I don't have to do this on my own. My biggest sin (and there are a lot) is trying to control my own life, which is not healthy. If nothing else, the situation I have been put in has really forced me to rely on God. To trust in Him. To let Him help you. To let others help you.

This has been a much needed lesson to learn, and I want to thank you for teaching it to me.

Love,
Nate

3 comments:

  1. You have been at my table more than anyone can imagine. We are all behind you every step of the way with loving support. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because we love you that much. We will be with you tomorrow through thought and constant prayer. Go gottem brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you, Nate-dawg.... Praying deeply. God's Spirit and power are in you, around you, anointing you... Tomorrow will be a battle. It will be a battle which will already be won. I cannot wait to see how He will redeem this fight. You are held tightly and firmly by YHWH. ..."go in this strength that is yours, mighty warrior..." (Judges 6)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate, I'm just reading this now and wanted to write you a message, first I'm sorry missed the chance to speak with you this week - I made the intake of thinking you might have the surgery next week! We are praying mightily for you and Elizabeth that you would indeed know and experience the grace of God, getting a front-row seat on it and behold it with shining eyes. Grace and peace! Andy Cornett and Signal Pres

    ReplyDelete