Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Brainhops




Hey everyone, it's Elizabeth. I'd like to start off my very first blog post (ever!) with a bible verse. This bible verse is from the day that all of this awfulness happened, and it's from my devotional. June 4th is a day I will never forget but most definitely don't want to remember. However, I don't think it's a coincidence that this verse was on that day. 

Here it is: "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13. The first few sentences of the devotion read: "Welcome challenging times as opportunities to trust Me. You have Me beside you and My spirit within you, so no set of circumstances is too much for you to handle...without Me, you wouldn't make it past the first hurdle!"

Strength. Everyone keeps mentioning this so called "strength" that I have. I'll tell you - I'm not disagreeing with them. It's really an out of body experience. In no way am I trying to pat myself on the back, but I really can't explain where it's coming from. You know me, I'm the somewhat shy soft-spoken one. I've never thought of myself as "strong". The only explanation is God..."I can do everything through Him who gives me strength". It's actually pretty nuts. 

My mother in law told me that now that Nathan and I are facing this terrible situation, we are sort of on a stage. Everyone's watching.. Keeping up with us on Facebook, emails, texts, calls, groupme, Instagram - you name it. Don't get me wrong, every single message has meant the world to us.We love all of the support-- and my theory is: the more people know, the more prayers are sent up. But, good grief, this blog has already had 9,000 views in just one day! That being said, because we're on this so called "stage", I'd like to make lemonade out of lemons and use this blog to show everyone that I believe that God has put us in this position to not only bring us closer to Him, but to also transparently show others how Nathan and I need to learn to lean on Him for support. As I was talking to Gretchen (my mother in law) she told me something that I'll never forget. She said, "You know what I hate? I hate when people say, "God doesn't give you more than you can handle." That is total crap. God gives you WAY more than you can handle. The key is to lean on Him to help you handle it. He gives you too much so you have to depend on Him. You have no other choice." (After all, 'without Him, we wouldn't make it past the first hurdle!') I thought that was an awesome way to put it, because it sure does feel like this situation is way too much to handle. However, it makes it a little easier as I'm learning to lean on Him. 

Speaking of strength and where it's coming from, I just want to take a second to mention a huge support team showing how strength in numbers really does help. That support team is Bellhops. They've put my mind at ease more times than I can tell you during these past 4-5 days. No, no...this is not a marketing plug for them, promise! However, for those of you who don't know what Bellhops is, check them out here. :) They're awesome. Amazing. Love them. Can't say enough good things about 'em. Nathan works for Bellhops and loves his job. You want to know how much? Well, I can show you. But first, here's the backstory: when Nathan was in the ICU, he was intubated, meaning he had a giant breathing tube down his throat. The nurse had him write questions or notes down to her on a piece of paper, since he couldn't speak. His first questions were NOT "why I am here?" Or "what happened to me?" (normal people questions). Well, his first actual question was, "Will you move me away from the guy next to me? He won't stop talking about nascar." So, obviously, most important things first. To his point, that guy really would not stop talking about nascar, and he was incredibly annoying. 

After the next questions such as "where is my family?" and "why the seizures?" He asked THIS: "how long will I be out of work? I <3 my job." 
 

I mean, who is sitting in the ICU with a breathing tube down his throat just waking up- after being sedated for a day- wondering when he can return to work?! Nathan, a guy who truly loves his job. To anyone at Bellhops or Lamp Post Group who might be reading this: thank you. Thank you for creating a workspace where every one who works there wants to wake up and come into work. Thank you for being so incredibly kind and supportive during this trying time. You all have given me guidance and love, and you all are just a wonderful support system to have. 


Ok, so now what you all want to know. The update! Well, sorry. There's really not any new information from the last post. We are en route to Nashville, as I type. We are meeting with Dr. Reid Thompson tomorrow morning at 9:30. Once we talk to him, we'll schedule a surgery date. Dr Thompson does his surgeries on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so his surgery will either be next Tues or Thurs, or possibly the week after - depending on the availability of an operating room. Until then, we are not sure what our plan is. We may head back to Chatt for a few days to tie up loose ends and love on Jack and Yeti. Someone will update the blog tomorrow to let everyone know the game plan. 

I'd like to take a moment to thank all of our family and friends for really taking charge and wrapping us in support. You all have no idea how much weight is lifted off our shoulders knowing that Jack, Yeti (our dog), our house and even our yard is being taken care of. You all know who you are, and I can't express our gratitude enough to you. 


Love, love, love you all--
Elizabeth








2 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys. Not a close friend, but brother in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that you feel God's presence walking beside & carrying you all through this ordeal.. You don't know me, but I was reading a friend's post & saw your story..Love in Christ, Janet

    ReplyDelete