Thursday, October 13, 2016

The StumpJump

Hey!

I just wanted to give everyone an update on where I am at—both physically and mentally. I am actually doing pretty well in both departments, despite occasional headaches and forgetfulness. This is the best I have felt, physically, in my life.

As most of you already know, I completed the StumpJump 50k (actually it was around 32.9 miles instead of the standard 31 miles) a couple weekends ago. The StumpJump is a trail race with close to 6,000 feet of elevation gain and about 12,000 feet of elevation change. It was a true test both physically and mentally. There were times towards the end when it became all mental. Thoughts raced through my mind, "I want to stop", "I am ok with top 30", "I'll just rest and let a few people pass me". But I wouldn't give in to any of those thoughts. If there is anything I've learned through this whole journey, it is how to be mentally 'strong'. I may not remember where the cups are in my house, but when it comes to being mentally 'strong', I've got that in spades.

Did it hurt? Absolutely, but I put my body to the ultimate test and came out stronger for doing it and am planning on running my first 50 miler this December 3.

The main reason I wanted to write this blog is because of a quote from book I recently read. Dean Karnazes is talking in his book, Ultramarathon Man, about recovering from his first 50 miler:

"As I limped around the office trying to appear natural, I reminded myself that pain and suffering are often the catalysts for life's most profound lessons." 

A good family friend who lost a battle with cancer, Lee Scruggs, had a saying, "we all walk with a limp". Don't we all try to appear natural even though there is stuff going on in our lives that we aren't willing to talk about? I would encourage everyone to get together with a small group of people to discuss the limps in your life. I have done this with a group of guys at Bellhops and it just helps to talk about your own limps and shortcomings—even if it feels like you are just venting.

Karnazes also mentions that through pain and suffering we are often taught profound lessons, and I couldn't agree more. God uses suffering in our lives to teach us. We may not understand the lesson, but I assure you that if you trust Him (something I constantly struggle with), we will come out on the stronger on the other end.

I have another MRI scan next week (Oct. 18), so please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers.

Here are some pics from the race, courtesy of my amazing sister:



Jack and I finishing together!

The fam

My momma

Debbie and Dad

My sis and I!



Much Love,

Nathan

1 comment:

  1. WHOOP WHOOP!! I am so so proud of you and YES we all walk with limps, but I don't know of we make it look as cool as you do! Press on, Brother! Nothing but faith in God or you!!

    ReplyDelete