Monday, March 14, 2016

Faith and Heaven

Hey Everyone!

(Spoiler Alert for people who haven't seen Room)




I watched the movie Room and it was such a great metaphor about faith and how Heaven will be that I had to write about it. 


This movie is not about Heaven at all. It is actually about two people that were held captive for years in an enclosed space. A woman, Joy - frequently called Ma, and her young son, named Jack, finally gain their freedom, allowing the boy to experience the outside world for the first time. 


Jack was born in 'Room' and had never been outside of it. He was so used to living in it and didn't know anything different. His 'Ma' tells him of the outside world and what it is like. He initially didn't trust his mother and didn't believe what she said about the outside world. He didn't believe that 'TV' people were real people. He didn't believe there were dogs, just cartoon dogs. Slowly, he began to have faith and trust what she was saying. When Jack initially escapes and starts to see things he had only heard about through his mom, he was stunned - trees, dogs, grass, cars, etc - it was all real!

Aren't we so similar to Jack? We get so comfortable on Earth and we don't trust God when he says in John 14:2-4:
"2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going."

We often don't think about death because it is a "scary" subject. I have had the privilege (yes, privilege) of coming to terms with something we are all going to do at some point: die. Do I have my struggles? Sure, we wouldn't be human if we did not get scared every now and then, but the great thing is I do trust God and have faith that he will bring me to one of his many rooms when it is my time.


Not a very smooth transition, but wanted to give a quick update on what's ahead for me and my family: 

- Liz completed her first 5k!! She was there to support me on Sunday when I ran the half marathon in 1:41:07!!
- March 29th we are heading back up to Vandy for another scan. 
- We have the results meeting the following morning, so please keep us in your prayers during that time.

As always thank you for all the prayers and continued support from those near and far!


much love,

Nathan



2 comments:

  1. You all are continuously in our prayers. We are trusting God with you! Thank you for being such GREAT witnesses for Him! God is good all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this & so PROUD of Fogo's 5k run & your HALF!!!

    ReplyDelete